Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 5 to 10
5 medium bell peppers – any color
5 large firm tomatoes
¾ cup basmati rice (you can use regular long grain, but basmati is SO much better)
½ pound ground chicken
½ – ¾ cup canola oil – depends how large your pan is
Juice of one lemon
3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground tumeric
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a bowl and over it with cold water to soak.
3) Cut the tops off the tomatoes about ¾ of an inch from the top. Save the tops. With a pairing knife gently cut around the edges of the tomato to loosen the veins and seeds from the outer shell. With a spoon scoop out the seeds and flesh from the inside of the tomato. Place the juice and seeds into a large bowl and the flesh on a cutting board.
4) Cut the tops off the peppers about ¾ of an inch from the top. Save the tops. Discard the ribs and seeds from the inside of the pepper.
5) You can either finely chop the tomato flesh or puree it in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Add to the bowl with the tomato juice and seeds. Add the juice of one lemon, 2 tablespoons canola oil, salt, tumeric, garlic, ginger and mint. Stir well. Drain the rice. Add the rice and ground chicken to the mixture and stir well again. You want the chicken and rice to be completely integrated into the tomato mixture. You also do not want any big pieces of chicken to be stuck together and you want a thick soup consistancy so that the rice has enough liquid to cook in.
6) Coat the bottom of a foil pan or baking dish with canola oil. Place the tomato “shells” and the peppers in the pan. Fill each tomato or pepper ¾ of the way to the top. Do not fill completely to the top as the rice will swell as it cooks. Drizzle the filled vegetables with a bit of canola oil on top. Place the tops back on the tomatoes and peppers.
7) Cover the dish tightly with tin foil. Cook in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes take the tin foil off of the dish and cook for a remaining 15 minutes. The vegetables should be tender, the rice should be cooked through. The internal temperature should read at least 170 degrees F. Enjoy!